Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hi Doc

I am from Singapore, i have a question on pregnancy, i had it on 22nd days after my period will i get pregnant?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pregnancy unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

It is very unlikely that you get pregnant when having sexual intercourse 22 days after your period.

However, to give you an accurate answer please let me know the date of your last menstrual period (LMP) i.e. date of your last periods. Also, let me the duration of your menstrual cycles like once in how many days do you get your periods?

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy? 2 minutes later
Hi Doc

Thanks, my period usually very regular every month it occurs every 27 days of each month and last for 6 days, my last period was 24 August.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pregnancy almost impossible

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for getting back with the details. You have regular periods every 27 days. That is a good sign.

Hence, if you have intercourse on 22nd day after periods, you cannot get pregnant. This is practically not possible as there is no fertile egg at this day.

Please relax, and take care!

Follow-up: Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy? 8 minutes later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for your advice, sorry i should say is every 27 to 28 days every month, i had sex intercouse on 22nd days my period, checked on internet is possible because fertiliy happens on anytime and different women ovulation period are different, sorry im just being worried as this first time happened to me.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your worry as this is your first time. You can ask queries any time. I would be glad to help you.

You have a regular period i.e. once in every 27 to 28 days. Please minus 14 days from your expected date of period. This is your date of ovulation.

For example, if your expected period is on 28th of September, then minus 14 days from this which would be 14th of September. So, 14 September would be your date of ovulation when you are fertile. On the 22 nd day of your period cycle, you will definitely not be fertile.

This is the reason why I am saying that you cannot get pregnant on this day.

Please relax, and be rest assured about this.

Follow-up: Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy? 14 minutes later
Thanks, can take a deep breath now, im expecting my period tomorrow which is 19 September, may i know when is the safer period for sexual? beside, i feel my breast very sore.

Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

The sore breast is probably because of your due date for period tomorrow. Rest adequately; you should be fine.

2 days before and after the ovulation day is not safe for sexual intercourse, as chances of getting pregnant is high on these days. Rest of all the days in the month is safe period for you.

Example: Your expected period this month is 19 September. Your ovulation day would be 19-14, which makes it 5th of September. Therefore, the days from 3rd to 7th September is unsafe or fertile period for you. You must not have sex on these days to prevent pregnancy. Rest of all days, you are free to have sexual intercourse.

Hope this is clear to you.

Follow-up: Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy? 13 minutes later
Thanks, doc infact i been through an obortion before, it happens by accident last year it was my day 11 of my period and he did a pull out method but it happens, i still feel hurt and doesn't want to been through this anymore. So i hope this time round it won't happen anymore.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
emergency pill

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

In case you happen to have sexual intercourse on the days of your ovulation, please take a pill of emergency contraception in the form of Ipill or Unwanted 72. This will prevent pregnancy, if any.

Also, this is lot more easier than undergoing an abortion which is painful.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have intercourse on 2nd day of cycle. Chances of pregnancy? 6 minutes later
Hi Doc

You meant theres emergency pill, need to take within 72hrs? i didnt know abt this, again, pull out method is unsafe?

Lastly just to be sure, i won't get pregnant on 22nd days of my period? Thanks once again for your great help. Much appreciated Doc!

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, emergency pill exists and is safe

Detailed Answer:

Yes, there is emergency pill which you can take within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse. This will prevent pregnancy. You can take this medicine when you are in your fertile or unsafe days and have sexual intercourse. It is called Levonorgestrel only or Emergency contraceptive pill.

Pull out method is totally unsafe. It cannot be relied upon, and it fails most of the times. Use a condom instead.

No, you won't get pregnant while having intercourse on 22 day of your period.

I am glad to be of help to you. Please write a review if time permits.

Take care!