Have inflamed joints with chronic UTI. Had haematuria. Any chances of STD?

Hi have inflamed joints for 2 months after 6 months of chronic uti / epididymitis. The joint pain came on when the epididymitis subsided! Have not had sexual intercourse since Nov 11 and am married wife has also not had sex since Nov 11. Had haematuria before joint pain and cause was not established systoscopy ruled out bladder cancer. No longer have haematuria. Joint pain is in hands and feet and sometimes knees and elbows. I am sometime woken at night unable to move knee/elbow/hand etc. Symptoms build up through day with fatigue and pain worsening. Sleep improves generally. Have appointment with rheumatologist next Friday. My question is could this have been caused by Chlamydia and if so how come when both my wife and I tested clear before we married in 2008 and have not had any other sexual partners since. My wife has also has subsequent chlamydia tests showing as clear (smear tests). Also if the ongoing joint inflammation is not caused by STD then what else could it be? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Chlaymdia can be associated with a form of joint inflammation called reactive arthritis which may be associated with symptoms in the eye as well. It is diagnosed by identifying the bacteria in the body (from the urine or joint). If the bacteria is identified then treatment is aimed at getting rid of the pathogen along with pain medication.
Gonorrhoea is an STI that can be associated with joint pain and inflammation, it is called gonococcal arthrits and can involve a single or multiple joints.It may be more likely to affect the fingers, wrists, toes and ankles.

Blood or urine tests can be done to determine if you have either of these bacteria. If your joints are significantly swollen , the rheumatologist may also take fluid from them to send to the lab for analysis.

There are other potential causes of joint pain such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis (though this would usually affect one or two joints), gout or arthritis related to psoarisis (there would be a history of rash).

To determine the exact cause , you would need blood tests - (1)ESR: this confirms inflammation
(2)Blood tests for lupus and rheumatoid arthrits. There are different factors that can be found in these diseases.
(3)Tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea
(4) x rays may be suggested

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions