Have infarct in thalamus. Unable to speak. What treatment should be done?

My dad has small infarcts in both the thalami. He is unable to speak and unable to work and do is regular activities. Please let me know the solution to this problem. What are the thing we need to do so that he can be normal person like he was earlier.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Alzheimer's
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 9 hours later

Symptoms of your father and Findings of MRI + low sodium suggest that it could be due to severe hyponatremia (low sodium). From your description, it looks like an acute problem and prognosis can be decided after few days of observation only.

I suggest you for the following:

a) To continue good nursing for feeding and other care, supportive care under guidance of a physician, routine investigations if not done recently (CBC, sugar, creatinine, electrolytes, ECG etc)

b) To send me details of clinical history, results of various investigations etc for better appreciation of clinical condition.