Have increased bowel movement, diarrhea, loud noise in stomach and tired. Colonoscopy and Celiac test normal. Suggest?

I'm a male, 54. Had irritable bowel all my life. Over past year, symptoms worsened : increased frequency of bowel movements (5 times a day, then diarhea in the last few weeks), plus very loud noises in gut and stomach, feeling very tired and sleeply. No blood, rash, acute pain or fever.

4 years ago: colonoscopy normal.

2 weeks ago : celiac test normal (hard to believe).

2 weeks ago : doctor check abdomen for lump (normal)

On gluten free diet for 5 weeks (plus low FODMAP diet as well for irritable bowel syndrome) and meticulous about eliminating other sources of gluten (medication, etc). Symptoms have decreased significantly. Diarhea stopped and stools are increasingly back to normal (but not fully), I feel alert and energized, noises in gut and stomach have decreased BUT are still there and that worries me.

Is it normal for the noises to continue?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it is normal for noise to continue

Detailed Answer:
Hello!Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

No it's not normal for noise to continue. Noise is produced to increased motility of gastrointestinal tract or due to some indigestible sugars or carbohydrates you are taking.

See that if milk or it's products, any artificial sugars are worsening these sounds, then please avoid them.

Take some combination of pre and probiotic

Take Rifaximin also as it will treat SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome) which is seen in around 40% of the patient with IBS and is common cause of noise in gastrointestinal tract as food is maldigested in this condition

If symptoms persist with above measures then take loperamide once a day and it will also help in relieving your symptoms as it is antisecretory agent

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.