Have hypothyroidism. Need to consult a dietitian to reduce weight

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I want to reduce my weight. I am a Hypothyroid patient. I would like to consult a dietician to reduce my weight. Please let me know the available time and date to have a chat
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 21 hours later

Thanks for Posting your Query.

It would be good if you give us more information of what type of diet plan you are looking for from us.

Please mention your goal for diet plan along with your details like your height , weight, waist size and give us your daily routine eating pattern from morning till night.

Give the freqnancy of consuming the following foods in a week:
Non- vegetarian foods, Eggs, Sweets or chocolates, soft drinks, fruit juices, bakery foods, alcohol or smoking habits, and also about your any form of physical activity that you are doing on a regular basis.

Kindly reply with details that will help to plan your diet chart.
Grace Abraham.
Follow-up: Have hypothyroidism. Need to consult a dietitian to reduce weight 44 minutes later
Please mention your goal for diet plan - Need to reduce my weight (according to the BMI). To become healthy and slim(basically to avoid from various diseases casued due to obesity)
Details like height - 5'6,
weight - 77
waist size - 38
Daily routine eating pattern from morning till night:
Morning- Break fast like idly or dosa
Afternoon - Lunch but now started reducing the quantity of rice.
Evening - Green Tea
Night - Pulka's or fruits

Non- vegetarian foods - weekly once,
Eggs - weekly once
Sweets - fond of sweets(fornightly once)
chocolates - occasional/rare
soft drinks - very less (once in a month hardly)
fruit juices - very less or negligible
bakery foods - monthly once or twice
alcohol or smoking habits - No such habits at all
Form of physical activity that you are doing on a regular basis - Nill.I was a sports person(national player) and used to play basket ball and after marriage i stopped. I am suffering from Thryoid(hypo) after my delivery and started observing that i am putting on lot of weight even though my intake of rice in a day has reduced. Please provide a diet chart to reduce my weight and become healthy. Hope to see your response soon. Thank you!! Have a good day!!
Answered by Grace Abraham 3 hours later

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27.3 kg/m, which is Overweight; the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Ideal body weight for your height should be from 65 kg to 70 kg.

Initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week, which will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight.

I would like to make little changes in your eating pattern, so that you can reduce your weight in healthier way:
•     Restrict rice or any preparation of rice to only one meal in a day.
•     Your breakfast can be idli’s or dosa with sambar, avoid with coconut or groundnut chutney.
•     Try to have Green tea without sugar as a mid-morning snack along with some hi-fiber biscuits; Green tea helps in fat not being stored in the body and also aids in weight loss.
•     Lunch – (you need to avoid rice) Chapathi or Pulkas - 3 no's can be taken along with dhal, vegetables and skimmed buttermilk, include some salads as well.
•     During evening, have a very light snack like boiled corn or any fruit or a katori of sprouts or two slices of wheat bread sandwich.
•     Have an early dinner before 8 pm, avoid rice and any preparations made from rice during this time, have either roti / chapathi made with wheat flour or jowar flour without oil,or any preparation made out of ragi or Broken wheat along with vegetables and dhal, include salads also.
•     Bedtime - a fruit or a glass of skimmed milk or buttermilk can be taken.

Fruits like Banana, Seethaphal, Sapota, Avocado, Watermelon, Mango and all Root vegetables (except radish, turnip, carrot) are to be avoided in the diet.

•     There should be a gap of 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs time intervals before you go to bed, after dinner.
•     Chicken or fish can be taken once in a week, preferably in a curry form without coconut or cashew nut used for the preparations. Boiled egg white is preferred rather than whole egg.
•     Keep yourself much hydrated; take at least 3-4 liters of water every day.
•     Use more of fiber XXXXXXX foods in the diet, like raw vegetables, sprouts, Whole legumes like channa, Rajma.etc
•     Take six small meals instead of three big meals which are equally time spaced.
•     Include green Leafy vegetables at least twice in a week.
•     Try to do any form physical activity on a regular basis.

Along with diet modifications, a minimum 30-45 minutes brisk walk or physical activity of moderate intensity which improves overall health.

Hope you will try to follow the diet.

Best of wishes for success - Start today!!

Grace Abraham