Have hypothyroidism. Low BP after taking Effortil. Is there anything else to do other than rest until I feel better?

my wife, aged 52, with hypothiroid taking medicine regularly has low blood pressure. IT started a couple of days ago and she took an effortil pill, 5mg. but today she has 86 --52 and of course can barley move. She has taken 10mg of effortil (etilefrine) but woud like to know whether there is anything else she can do other than rest and wait until she feels better and then ?? What is the next best thing for her to do until we can get back home by tomorrow.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A low blood pressure without any identifiable cause like bleeding or medicines usually does not need a treatment. Since your wife is feeling an extreme weakness, she can an be treated with changes in diet such as increasing water and salt intake, increasing intake of caffeinated beverages (because caffeine constricts blood vessels), using compression stockings to compress the leg veins and reduce the pooling of blood in the leg veins.
Taking Ibuprofen (Motrin) can also help in rise of her blood pressure.
These minor changes will help in reducing her discomfort and will help in elevation of her blood pressure.
In case the problem is persistent then a thorough clinical examination and blood investigations are needed to find out the cause of hypotension which can then be treated accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.