Have hyperthyroidism. On thyroxine sodium tablets. When to expect weight loss?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor,
I am have been diagoned as hypothyroidism by my doctor. My TSH levels are 140.
I have been started on tablet thyroxine sodium tablets -200mcg. my weight is 74kg. height:5foot 5 inch. when can i expect the weight loss is the dose of 200mcg proper. i have been on treatment since 4 days.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 58 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Since when have you been diagnosed with hypothyroidism ?

Have you experienced recent weight gain, thickened skin, menstrual problems, sleep problems, constipation ?

Kindly confirm the level of TSH along with the units (for example 0.5 to 5mIU/l is normal. Kindly highlight the unit after the number 140 in your report, or please attach the report).

The TSH level you have mentioned is extremely high, as normal TSH value measured commonly in laboratories is 0.5-3IU/L or 0.5 to 5mIU/L.

For hypothyroidism, thyroid hormone or Thyroxine hormone is given. For lower values of TSH, usually 50mcg is started. Higher the TSH, the higher dose is preferred. Do take the medicine in the morning as advised by your Doctor.

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index comes to 27.1. Normal value is between 18.4 to 24.9. You come under the Overweight category which is between 25 to 29.9. You will need to do daily moderate exercise like brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Avoid fatty diet, junk food, colas, alcohol. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. These measures help to reduce weight and boost immune system.

You shall start experiencing weight loss within 2 weeks if you follow proper diet, exercise and medication plan as mentioned. Your symptoms shall start to disappear in the same time as well. Most important is that you exercise daily as it is needed to help you lose weight due to hypothyroidism.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.