Have hypertension and mvp. Taking amlodipine. Developed swelling on foot. Safe medicine?

I have mild MVP. I am Aso titre +ve,Aso titre count 250 and take penicillin12 lac injection having hypertension in the range of 140/95 I am 26 yrs old male, My job involves lot of mental work nd sitting at a place for long period of time After using medicine with amlodipine i am developing swelling in feet, however amlodepine together with a betablocker like nebivilol helps in lowering bp.i want a medicine which will help me lower my bp without complications
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. I will take both the diseases you are taking treatment for.
1. Some cardiologist may differ with me in my advice to you. However I have done enough work in the Rheumatic Heart Disease and Rheumatic Fever in India over last three decades. If you have consistent titre of 250 or this is the only titre you have? Whether this mitral valve prolapse(MVP) was ever associated with Mitral Regurgitation that is leakage of valve? Is there any evidence of mitral stenosis (narrowing of the valve)? If answer to all three is that this is the highest single titre you have and you do not have mitral regurgitation or mitral stenosis, then you do not Penicillin Prophylaxis any more. You can put the Rheumatic Fever and my name and do google search your self.

2. Well, here not many would differ. Amlidopine can cause swelling of feet and Atenolol is not the drug of choice in young person like you. Therefore, I will suggest that you have a talk with your treating physician or cardiologist. In treating high Blood Pressure we do not have a drug of choice rather we have choice of drugs. I will suggest taking any of ARB (Angiotensin II Receptor Blocker) drugs like Losartan or Telmisartan; please get it prescribed.

If you have any further query I will be happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

(Dr Anil Grover)