Have high systolic pressure. Is this acceptable?

I am 58 years old and have blood pressure of 154/88. is this acceptable?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 38 minutes later
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX .

BP Reading of 154/88 suggests your systolic pressure is raised. The upper limit we consider as normal is 140 mm of Hg. The diastolic pressure is in pre hypertensive stage that is above 85 & below 90.

Since you don't have any other medical illness the upperlimit for your BP should be 140/90 mm of Hg.
We always consider multiple readings to consider for management. Since you have given single reading I advice you to get measured your BP atleast twice with one hour interval with 5-10 min relaxing time before each reading. This is because your BP specially 1st reading (systolic) greately affected by your activities and also your mental status.

Considering 154/88 as your BP, I advice you to start doing every day 30min physical outdoor exercises and nutritious diet with only required calories of food, redice salt quantitiy in food, avoid junk food and smoking(if smooker). These measures will help you to get under normal limit. Even after these measures if we find raise in BP then we can consider to take medication.
Otherwise no need to worry for this blood pressure level.

I advice you to get measured using mercury BP apparatus by a profession and avoid the apparatus that run with battery. Always get measured in sitting posture / supine position and follow up in same posture.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any further query please be free to ask me. I will be glad to answer them.
Wish you good health.