Have high cholesterol and triglycerides levels. Prescribed ecospirin. Substitute it with exercise? Worry about heart?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am male age 38, having cholesterol--243, triglycerides--238, HDL-48, LDL-145. i never smoke but had family history of heart disease, i had very balanced diet sugar level 82 with 120/80 BP MY Doctor ask me to take a Ecospirin AV-75 daily but before starting this drugs,could i avoid this drugs by life modification with ample exercises daily. Is it necessary to take this ecospirin av 75 daily or i had still chance to avoid it with proper life modification although i had family history of Cardiac or heart problem
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Ecosprin is actually a XXXXXXX aspirin and it works to reduce the function of platelets in the body. This helps prevent clots which are responsible for causing heart attacks and stroke. I would suggest that you continue taking ecosprin as given the kind of risk factors that you currently have.
Your total cholesterol levels are high and your LDL levels are borderline high. To tackle this situation, I would suggest the following:
a.     Avoid fat laden and oily food, junk food, colas
b.     Eat fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables everyday
c.     Drink enough water, 6-8 glasses a day
d.     Try to remain stress free, do Yoga for stress relief as well.
e.      Do daily brisk walking exercise for 20-30 minutes a day which should be enough to keep your heart healthy.
Your blood sugar and blood pressure levels appear normal as indicated. Please follow up with yor physician regularly.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Follow-up: Have high cholesterol and triglycerides levels. Prescribed ecospirin. Substitute it with exercise? Worry about heart? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Previously i had taken Ecospirin AV-75 for a years and then after making a gap of a week after stopping my medicine dose it was 108 for LDL and 195 for cholestrol with 48 for HDL, i thought it was okay and stop taking it but after two month of lipid profile check it comes to 145 for LDL and 243 for Cholestrol, i check my profile before two weeks so instead of medicine i thought for life modification with proper balance diet with ample exercise. Now i had already started above mentioned suggestion already but i fear this might not be enough so ask for your suggestion today. I had also scan my heart in BL XXXXXXX hospital in New Delhi as adviced by Dr. Manchanda (heart specialist) and it was clear and no blockage seen. So my re-question again is about to re-start this medicine or not? as i fear about the side-effect of this medicine in long-term regular doses, i just want to skip it if i can without risking my life. Is this medicine safe? Pls. advice?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later

Hi there.

Yes, Ecosprin AV is safe and has no life threatening side effects.

Sometimes body pain, fever, weakness, liver problems can occur as side effects.

Ecosprin AV contains Cholesterol reducing medicine called Atorvastatin. It is because of this medicine that your cholesterol had reduced.

Continue with strict diet and exercise modifications for best results.

I hope I have answered your query.