Have high cholesterol and get chest pain. Having hernia protruding from lower abdomen. Cause and treatment?

My son has very high cholesterol and is having chest pains on the left side daily, his upper leg has been numb for the last 4 months. He also has a hernia that is protruding from his lower abdomen by about 6 inches. Are these conditions life threatening and what is the cause and what is the treatment?

He has had skin allergies throughout his life. He was diagnosed with MRSA about 4 years ago.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
YES, his symptoms are concerning!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your son has been experiencing.

From the information you have provided:

1. High cholesterol values and left sided chest pain raise the suspicion of coronary heart disease. This happens because bad cholesterol is deposited in the blood vessels(including those of the heart). This limits the amount of blood flow to the heart muscles causing pain as a result of lack of oxygen and nutrients. He would need to XXXXXXX and be evaluated fully by his primary healthcare doctor. He will do a complete lipid profile, EKG and other tests depending on physical exam findings to probe further into this and address the problem. He may later need a referral to be seen by a cardiologist if it so warrants.

Hernia is caused by weakness in the muscle wall that is normally supposed to contain the organ. All Hernia must be repaired unless otherwise. This is because they can become complicated through strangulation that may cause intestinal necrosis. This would need to be surgically corrected as soon as possible to make sure that we don't run into a complication that would need an urgent intervention with poor prognosis. A general surgeon is best indicated to handle this problem.

These findings are in no way related to the skin allergies but represent completely different diseases.

I wish you well. I wish your son all the best as he takes active measures to correct these. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
Thanks for this opportunity to address your query today

Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Have high cholesterol and get chest pain. Having hernia protruding from lower abdomen. Cause and treatment? 14 hours later
My son feels sick in his stomach after eating so he has stopped eating most meals, so my question is, can intestinal necrosis cause nausea after eating and stomach pain?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Intestinal necrosis would never present with chronic nausea and pain after eating.

If this should ever happen, then know he must get operated immediately or death is inevitable. Hope we never get there!

My greatest suspicion is that after eating, blood supply must be increased to the intestines to aid with digestion and nutrients absorption. If for the same reasons that blood is compromised t the heart it happens with the intestines, then I would expect terrible cramps after eating.

Please, get him evaluated properly ad managed accordingly. I Wish him well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Have high cholesterol and get chest pain. Having hernia protruding from lower abdomen. Cause and treatment? 13 minutes later
Thank you so much for your information. I will mail this information to my son.

I am a concerned mother because my son is in prison and he keeps informing the medical professionals of each physical problem that he is experiencing and these symptoms are being ignored. They are aware of the high cholesterol and they have put him on some medication that is not working and they refuse to do anything about the hernia.

Am I at XXXXXXX to share this information from you with the prison medical staff? I question the quality of medical professionals that are on staff at his facility and I am hoping that with this information maybe they will run the appropriate test to diagnose the problem so he can receive proper medical treatment.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, feel free to share with whosoever you choose!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up information.

I am so sorry to hear about your son being in prison. I so wish he soon gets out and moves on.

Feel free to pass it on to anybody who may work on it

All the best to you and your son.
You may also consider closing the discussion at this time if no more clarifications are needed. Please, do take some time and write a short review to help us better serve you next time.

Dr. Ditah, MD.