Have high blood pressure. Prescribed nusar-50 and metpure-xl 25. Is it safe to take both tablets at a time?

i have been prescribed Nusar-50 and Metpure-xl 25 one tablet each per day for high blood pressure.
as i gather both the medicine are for controlling the high BP.

My question is whether it is safe to take both these tablets at a time
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 28 minutes later

Nusar contains losartan potassium 50 mg, it is angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) and Metpure xl contains metoprolol which is beta receptor blocker.

I know it is difficult to understand but both the group of drugs act by different mechanism and help in reducing the blood pressure.

This combination is routinely prescribed. As they act by different mechanism the anti hypertensive action of the component adds up. As you have mentioned about the heart disease the ARB's do have beneficial effect on the heart that will be helpful.

I advise you to speak with consulting physician instead of two different tablet if the combination of this drugs are available you can take that to improve the compliance.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.

Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Wish you good health. Take care.