Have herpes, having papulus on penis and pubic area, no pain. No fever or malaise. What else it could be?

Question
i am scared that i have herpes. i have been in a committed relationshipfor the last 9
months. she was just checked a year ago before we started dating. 2 days ago i had
papules at the of my penis and lower part of pubic area
no fever, fatigue, or malaise. not really painful. just unough to knoe,.im prety confident its razror burn, No pain noted, er been having alot of axniety of just to reiterate,my speciq ]]g]irldfreindiqne hqqnd and have been concenterql e

thank you
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thank for posting your query.

From your history and pictures it looks like folliculitis rather than herpes.
When signs of herpes do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum which are preceded by pain and tingling. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur.

What you can do at the moment is follow these methods for a quick relief:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. When doing exercise wear athletic tights or cycling shorts.
2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.
3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.
4)     Application of Neosporin cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have herpes, having papulus on penis and pubic area, no pain. No fever or malaise. What else it could be? 18 hours later
Initial lesion appeared to be razor burn because I had shaved a couple days prior. No real pain just felt raw. Then proceeded to fester and make papules. They burst with washing. I was sure it was folliculitis. Then seen familiar pictures of herpes.
This would be an uncommon place for herpes correct? Also can a follicle cause vesicular rash? Also total time has been about 10 days healing well, with no other lesions. Also hair through lesions

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Herpes blisters can present on genitalia like penis and scrotum. So it is not an uncommon site for herpes, rather is a common site. But the presence of hair in the lesions raises the possibility of folliculitis.

Folliculitis begins as a red, tender area at or near the base of one or more strands of hair. It turns into a small, raised area of skin that contains pus (pustule) and often itches or burns. When these pustules break open, they may drain pus and/or blood.

Apply topical antibiotics like Neosporin or Bactroban and warm compresses. It should get better. If the symptoms persist then get it evaluated from a dermatologist.