Have heart murmur, doctor suggested no antibiotics to get tattoo. What do you think?

Infertility Specialist
i have a hart murmur and been told by a doctor that i don't i need antibiotics to get a tattoo what do you think? I already have 1 tattoo witch i did take antibiotics for but this time I got told I don't need any

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later
Hi, thanks for your query.

I appreciate your awareness about taking antibiotic prophylaxis. It prevents possibility of infective endocarditis and associated complications.

Therefore I advice you to take antibiotic prophylaxis as you did last time. You will have benefit rather than loss by taking antibiotic. It will safeguard your heart.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any more queries you have. Regards,
Follow-up: Have heart murmur, doctor suggested no antibiotics to get tattoo. What do you think? 3 hours later
thank you your answer. But if the doctor says I don't need it and wont give it me what other options do I have?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Your doctor does not want to give you injections because a needle prick used for tattoo is a small infection and does not need antibiotic. If you have murmurs due non valvular factors then also some physcians wont give antibiotic. I suggest to see a different doctor or preferably a cardiologist who might oblige you to give injections.I hope I answered your question.

Please accept my answer and close this discussion if no more queries. Regards,