Have headache, tooth pain, blocked nose with painful ringing ear. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
Started on Friday with flu symptoms (muscle aches and pains, swollen tonsils, swollen glands, fever etc). A few days later, sinuses blocked and runny nose. Monday night started getting severe tooth pain at the back of mouth. Now I have headaches, sore temples, sore eyes and ears feel blocked (muffled hearing) and have been ringing all day. I have trouble sleeping due to the severe tooth pain. I also have a cough and phlegm. Doctors have prescribed antibiotics which I've started last night, also taking a painkiller with codeine.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 57 minutes later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache, facial pain and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. An antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
5. A mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol is beneficial in reducing the consistency of secretions, thus reducing the block and headache.
6. Also, avoid codeine/smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon