Have headache, pain in eye and high frequency hearing loss. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
I have headacks and shock sounds and feelings and pain like what I call (a brain freeze when you would eat something cold) in sometimes 1 eye or both. When the pain happens it shoots through 1 side of my head to my eye and my eye will hurt like if I had something cold in my mouth but I dont. My head has a high pitch sound. I have hearing test at work once a year and it showes a high pitch hearing loss. I am 51 years old. Also when my dog barks, not all sounds but high pitch sounds makes the shock feelings worse, feels like it makes my ears pulsate with every sound. Thank You
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding headache, pain in eye and high frequency hearing loss.

Considering all symptoms it appears as you are suffering from migrain, or there are possibility of early menier's disease because hearing loss favors menier's while in migrain no question arises for hearing loss. But here you are not having any vertigo or tendency for nausea, so I can't directly think for menier's.

Thus now I am clear about that your headache is of vascular in nature and is trigerred by cold which are well known to produce ischemia in arteries of scalp.

You are now advice for these medication-

(a) Tab Flunarin (10 mg) twice daily

(b) Methicobalamine (1500 micro gram ) daily.

You should also arrange for detail neurologicl examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Have headache, pain in eye and high frequency hearing loss. What am I suffering from? 4 hours later
I do have some mild light headedness and off and on nausea. I thought something I eat and my sinuses. If I do have vertigo it's not real bad.... I do have a feeling like pressure in my head. Just a funny feeling that is hard to discribe. Thank you XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Wecome again in H.C.M. for clarification of query.

As you observed light headedness and off and on nausea than possibilities of menier's are more. But before advicing medication one would like to cofirm it and at the same time other possibilities should be ruled out.

Therefore you are advice for these basic investigations-

(a) Pure tone audiometery.

(b) Impedance audiometery.

(c) ENG ( electronystagmography)

(d) C.T.scan of ear ( HRCT)- to rule out pathology at C.P.angle & Labyrinthine fistula.

After this much work and thorough clinical examination one may reach to correct diagnosis that can be accordingly plan for treatment.
Follow-up: Have headache, pain in eye and high frequency hearing loss. What am I suffering from? 9 hours later
There is something else I thought of. I used to take Effexor and stoped taking it the doc. told me how to walk down off it slow years ago. The shock feeling was bad then. Walking off properly. A year or more past and the shock feeling did get better but at night before I would go to sleep I would feel them. I am now taking sertraline XXXXXXX 50 mg. I dont know if that was a triger but it did get some better. I have been on this med some time now. I was off the other years before I took anything else. This has just reasently got worse. A noise when its quite is very bothersome. Thank you very much for your help
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 7 hours later

Thanks for considering us for clarification of your query.

After analysing the different aspect of your symptoms and change of medicins which you are taking it appears most probably the effects of drugs, I think you will be O.K. in a weeks time. Please continue your treatment and if feel any problem than your doctor will take care.

Wishing for your quick recovery.