Have headache, chest pain and feeling tired. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

I am a 24 year old grandfather recently had a heartattack. as i checked his blood pressure i decided to take mine it was 150/100. i have chest pain and real bad head ache and always tired. wondering if its normal or do i need to seek help. need info really worried
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 22 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
You have few risk factors for coronary artery disease and probably your job as housewife and motherhood is bringing stress in your life. In my opinion you have to see a doctor to:
a). Rule out any primary cause of this Hypertension by physical examination & tests.
b). Prescribe a medicine as BP medicines are prescription medicine. and lastly
c). Follow you up. Including filling in the unfilled information about risk factors for coronary artery disease. Twenty nine is just the right age to start acting on prevention so that you do not have heart disease later in life. So let us start with risk factors.
At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-

Diabetes +/-
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease*
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45-

From the list, above you have some risk factors: Family history, Hypertension, Stress, smoking and increasing age could be identified. Therefore, I will strongly recommend consulting your doctor; he/she may complete the list as well do the EKG / TMT to find out target organ damage due to hypertension.
It is never too late to change. You have not written your height and weight. With your weight everything you do will have to be under supervision. It need not be cardiologist but your primary doctor can guide your way back to health - I am happy to read that. You may need drugs and he/she (or ask the dietitian) to advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control for you do not want to have heart attack in years to come. If you like non vegetarian you cannot take red meat but there is no bar (in taking certainly quantity had to be less) on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish.
Exercise: Brisk walk at the speed of 5 KM/Hr for 40 minutes per day every day is enough aerobic exercise you need for keeping your heart healthy.
Now about stress. Please do this yogic exercise for ten minutes twice a day. will write about the progressive muscular relaxation which is used for non pharmacological treatment of blood pressure. This has opposite effect to heavy isometric exercise. Additionally, this is a great stress buster. It is called Savasana: corpse pose if literally translated. I have taken following translation of old Sankrit script about yogic exercise. I quote

No yoga session is complete without the final pose – Savasana. The body needs this time to understand the new information it has received through practicing yoga. Even though Savasana is a resting pose, it’s not the same a sleeping! You should stay present and aware during the five to ten minute duration of final relaxation.

1. Come to lie down on the back.

2. Let the feet fall out to either side.

3. Bring the arms alongside the body, but slightly separated from the body, and turn the palms to face upwards.

4. Relax the whole body, including the face. Let the body feel heavy.

5. Let the breath occur naturally.

6. To come out, first begin to the deepen the breath. Then move the fingers and toes, awakening the body.

7. Bring the knees into the chest and roll over to one side, keep the eyes closed.

8. Slowly bring yourself back up into a sitting position.

Here are some ideas on ways to use props during savasana to make this pose more comfortable and relaxing.
End of quote

If there is any further query I will be most happy to answer asap. It is a pleasure interacting with you.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW