Have headache at the moment of climax. Last for 5 to 10 minutes. Reason?

I am a 64 yr old female. I have an immediate headache at the moment of sexual climax. It has been several years since my husband and I have "been together". I have checked my meds for interactions, etc. The headache comes on so quickly it is frightening. The headache lasts 5-10 min. I do not have headaches, even as benign as fatigue or stress. I do not know what other information to give you.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a minor, treatable problem

Detailed Answer:

I can fully appreciate your concerns.

From the description provided, you are suffering from typical Sex headaches.

In majority of cases, these headaches are not of any concern.

If I were your treating doctor, I would advised you to start preventive medicines, such as, B-Blockers in low doses 2-3 times daily, to be taken regularly.

You may also take anti-migraine preventive medicine- one of the medicines belonging to class of triptans; to be taken 1 hour before sex.

I suggest that you consult your treating doctor who will prescribe appropriate drugs belonging to the groups mentioned above.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal