Have headache and small lumps on temple. Hurts after pressing. Could these be blood clots?

Nov 2013

I have two small lumps in my right temple. They feel as if they are in the vein which dilates when I have a headache. When I press on the lumps, I get a pulsating pain after I remove pressure. Could these be blood clots, and should I seek medical attention?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, your problem could be muscle tension headache or migraine. In both these conditions, one could have pain in the temple regions, which increases on applying pressure.

If the muscle is tensed and stiff, it may feel like blood clots. There is very little chance of the lumps to be due to real clots in the veins. Moreover, there is no major vein in the temple region. Howver, there is an artery (temporal artery) in the region, which may get affected in people above 50 years of age, causing headaches (called as temporal arteritis).

As of now, there is no need to seek medical attention. However, if you get severe pain, or if the pain persists for long, you may consult a doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist