Have headache and large lump on neck below chin. Is this the cause of concern?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I have a very large lump on my neck below my chin. I believe it's a cystic pimple but nothing comes out if it and it's getting larger every day. It seems to be causing headaches, is that possible the pimple can cause headaches?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the lump you described, may be an enlarged lymph node or an enlarged salivary gland or a bronchogenic cyst, or a lymphoepithelial cyst or a lymphangioma or other lesion. But rarely may it be a case of cystic pimple. Because the size of the lesion you mentioned is not common in case of pimple.

For a definite diagnosis, clinical examination is must. It plays the key role. The size, shape, position, relation with the underlying structure, consistency, mobility, should be noted. Without these information it is impossible to comment on the nature of the lesion.

Depending upon the clinical examination, if no definite conclusion can be drawn, a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) should be considered.

In case of a benign cystic lesion or enlarged salivary gland and other conditions, headache may occur due to pressure effect on the nerves in that area.

So, consult with a general physician immediately for a detailed clinical examination and for ordering required investigations as I have mentioned. Treatment solely depends on the diagnosis.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have headache and large lump on neck below chin. Is this the cause of concern? 37 minutes later
Thank you so very much for your prompt response! I'll make sure I get to the ER as soon as my Husband get's home. Or do you think the ER is too extreme?
By the way I do have TN which causes extreme nerve pain in my face as is. Could this possibly be why the pain is so severe? I take Gabapentin daily for the TN and it's worked very well however that does not seem to be the case last night and into today. I also get Cluster Migranes :(

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, ER is too extreme. You do not need to go to ER immediately. But, you should consult about it with your family physician or general physician first.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have headache and large lump on neck below chin. Is this the cause of concern? 8 minutes later
Any suggestion on the radiating facial pain and cluster migraines with no relief from my normal medication? Between the large bump pain, facial radiating pain and the cluster migraine im in pretty bad shape :( I have an appointment with my Dr. however it's not until Friday

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in that case, you can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like paracetamol or aceclofenac group of drug. That will be enough. You should also take a pantoprazole group of drug to decrease the acid secretion caused by the anti-inflammatory drug.

Hope you have your answers. Regards.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have headache and large lump on neck below chin. Is this the cause of concern? 1 minute later
Thank you so much for your assistance! Have a wonderful day!

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Regarding your third question, you are right. As you have trigeminal neuralgia, you may experience more pain than others. But you should take the anti-inflammatory agents as i have mentioned. That will be enough.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.