Have hard movable bump under the skin of leg. What is this?

I have a small hard bump, like a small pea, under the skin on the inside of my lower leg. It is moveable. What is it? I am a female, age 64 and in generally very good health. I am not overweight by any means.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
A single hard movable bump under the skin can be any of the following.
1. Lipoma, which is collection of solidified fat. This is a benign condition and nothing to worry. It will remain as it is and won’t progress.
2. Lymph node.
Occasionally there can be a single aberrant lymph node. There is nothing to worry.
There should only be a concern when any of the following happens.
1. Any increase in size of the lesion.
2. Pain
3. Bleeding in skin over the lesion.
4. If the lesion which is now mobile becomes fixed.
Please let me know, if I need to clarify further.
Thank you.
Follow-up: Have hard movable bump under the skin of leg. What is this? 10 hours later
Thank you. If it is lipoma, will it ever go away? I might have had something like this before and it eventually went away. How did I get it in the first place? Is there a way to avoid getting it in the future?

How can I tell if it is a rogue lymph node? This seems to me to have gotten a tiny bit larger but that might be my imagination. No pain and no bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you had similar lesions in past then it must be lipoma.

Lipomas are known to recur in different sizes at different sites. The cause for their development is not well established in any. It can be hereditary in some and post traumatic in other.

Lipomas rarely do disappear on their own. Surgical method of removal is only definitive management if there are any complications associated with them.

There is no way to prevent it, well it is harmless so nothing much to worry.

Lymph nodes are usually not constant, that is they tend to grow and usually become painful.

Just keep a watch for the signs I have mentioned in previous post.