Have hard lump on side of clavicle. Feeling fatigue. Chest x-ray, blood test normal. Concerned

General Surgeon
Question
I have a hard lump on the left side where my clavicle meets the sternum. It has been there for about 4 years ...looking back at pictures. I noticed it about a year ago when my Sister pointed it out. I went to the doctor and had a chest xray done a couple of months ago. The results were normal, they did not find anything. I have no other systems ...weight gain or loss etc. I am a little fatigued at times ...but I think this is do to severe seasonal allergies. I also had my routine blood work done recently and all came back normal. Should I still be concerned? What could this lump be? My doctor said not to worry.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 53 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such lump can be an lymph node, benign soft tissues lesion like lipoma or sebaceous cyst or just a part of the bone.

If his lump is soft, painless, does not cause any redness of the skin in this area, lipoma is the most probable.
If this lump is movable, quite hard (but not like a bone) and painless, lymph node is most probable.
If this is hard like a bone, it can be a part of bone.

The best way of diagnostic in such case is an ultrasound and surgical removal. Both lipoma and lymph node can be send to histopathology what will rule any malignant diseases.

More exact answer I can give having a photo of it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have hard lump on side of clavicle. Feeling fatigue. Chest x-ray, blood test normal. Concerned 30 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. The lump is very HARD like bone and is painless, does not cause any redness of the skin in this area and it is NOT MOVABLE. It does not seem to fit any of the catergory described above. Maybe part of the bone? I have a picture to send but am not seeing where there is a download option on this page.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Hello!

Than please send a picture at YYYY@YYYY .
From your description bone is most probable. However ultrasound can give an answer in case of doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have hard lump on side of clavicle. Feeling fatigue. Chest x-ray, blood test normal. Concerned 1 hour later

Thank you, I have sent attached picture to email address you gave me above. I do think I have maybe a little arthritis in this sholder as well (not sure if related to lump). It is not painful but sometimes pops or grinds when I tie my shoe etc.

Thanks so much! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Now I can see it clearly. This lump is localized above the sternoclavicular joint. And as it is hard as a bone, and in the bone area, this must be the bone. It can be more bulged due to spine scoliosis, uneven chest or this joint inflammation (it looks little reddish on the photo). For sure this is nothing you should worry about. But if it gives you pain or discomfort, you should consult orthopedist.

Hope this will help.
Regards.