Have hard lump close to collar bone. What could it be?

Sep 2012

Hi I have a lump about an inch away from my collar bone, I think it was a spot that I popped years ago. But it's now a hard lump under the skin. It's moves easily and does not hurt. It has stayed the same size. What do you think it could be?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates presence of a lymph node in the supraclavicular region. This type of lymph node may be present in many conditions. A left sided supraclavicular lymph node is very suspicious of some serious disease condition.

So, you have to consult with a general physician first for a detailed clinical examination for the size, shape, position, consistence, mobility and relation with other structures. Presence of other lymph nodes in other areas should be noted.

After a clinical examination, a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) form that lymph node should be performed. Consult with your treating doctor about this. If FNAC report becomes noncontributory then excisional biopsy should be considered.

One more thing, do not neglect this. This may be starting of a serious disease. So, consult with a general physician about this.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.