Have hard bump on spine that hurts while pressing. Feeling stiffness in back and neck. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have and hard bump on my spine, feels like my it is part of my spine, about mid spine vertically. It hurt's by pressing on it and my neck and back feel stiff.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The hard lump lump on your spine which is mildly painful on XXXXXX pressure and not actively growing in the size is likely to be due to a lipoma or a skin structure cyst. Such small lesions are usually benign and harmless.
The feeling of stiffness in the back and neck could be related to a muscle spasm due to a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a MRI of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. This will help in detecting the extent of the soft tissue swelling you are having.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary for the stiffness.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.