Have hard bump in dark circle region of eye which hurts. Recently had facials. Related?

I have a hard pimple sized bump in dark circle region of eye. It has been there for 3 weeks and hurts to touch. It is so small no one notices but me. When I touch it is a hard knot that is sensitive. I recently started getting facials. It looks like a white head but it is not.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 3 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

It is definitely not acne but could be either Milia or Syringoma. Both are benign conditions and so don't worry. Milia may be white or yellow in colour and usually appears near the inner aspect of skin below eyelid. It is a lump due to keratin and dead skin cells that blocks the pores of hair follicles. It may probably be due to your facials as heavy skin products like lotion and creams can exacerbate Milia. But mostly it is cystic (soft) in nature and not hard.

Syringoma is hard, little larger and not white, unlike Milia . It is due to excess growth of sweat gland cells. Both cannot be treated by acne medicines. Accurate diagnosis by a dermatologist is needed to decide the course of treatment.

Although sun screens and vitamin E preparations may be useful, Dermabrasion or excision is the first line of treatment for both conditions. Please visit your Dermatologist for further evaluation. Do not pinch them and do not attempt to excise on your own as it may leave scars.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.