Have had unprotected sex. Have small itchy bump on labia minora. What could this be?

Small bump on labia minora itchy no discharge what could this be?Just finished treatment for BV and yeast. Had un protected sex last week. The bump is tiny can't really see it. It is right next to clitoris in which feels a little irritated little achy
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Since you are just having itching on the labia minora with very tiny bumps, I feel it is more of soreness than bumps.

Soreness and bumps of the labia can result from many causes.

Firstly it can be caused by a reaction or irritation from underwear, feminine douche or soaps. Shaving or hair removal creams may also result in itching and redness.

You recently had a vaginal infection. Rough sexual activity can aggravate soreness and bumps when tissue is inflamed by an infection.

The other cause can be the underlying infection you had recently.
Recurrences are very common in yeast infection particularly if the predisposing factors remain untreated like lack of perineal hygiene, diabetes, hormonal changes.

Yeast infections predominantly present with itching and soreness. Vaginal discharge is also seen.

The least likely possibility can be Molluscum Contagiosum. This causes raised fluid filled bumps on the skin that are usually painless, but that can also cause itching and discomfort. It is important to avoid scratching the bumps because doing so can cause the disease to spread or your skin to become infected.

What I feel is since you recently had vaginal infections, yeast and bacterial vaginosis, both of which can cause itching and soreness. The soreness can persist for quite some time even after completing your treatment. The chances are more if you do not take care of avoiding irritant factors like soap, creams, wet undergarments, intercourse, tight clothing and scratching. These would prevent healing of the area.

You can do SITZ bath (sitting in a tub of warm water for 15 mins three times daily). This will help reduce the soreness and thereby relieve the itching.

Make sure you keep proper perineal hygiene with frequent change of undergarments.
Washing the area with plain water after using the toilet and keeping it dry is a must.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.

Follow-up: Have had unprotected sex. Have small itchy bump on labia minora. What could this be? 1 hour later
Thank you. There was only one bump that would itch sometime it started yesterday actually getting better today I will do sits bath as you instructed no sex and when I do protected smile. It was just strange to have one bump that us why I was confused.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, sitz bath would definitely help you.

In the event that your bumps increase or get painful, then do visit your gynecologist.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

take care.