Have had total hip replacements and it seems like height has decreased. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have had two total hip replacements and it seems i am about an inch shorter than i used to measure. is this a common result of hip replacement?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We need equal limb length

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your history I conclude that you have done both hips joint replacement surgery, and followed by surgery your height has reduced by 1 inch.
Yes this can happen after total lower limb should have equal length to avoid limb length discrepancy.
Reasons for shortening could be gross destruction of joint space, acetabulum bone protrusion inside, reduced femoral neck offset, to make both limb equal lengths.

So till both limb length is equal nothing to worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.