Have had tiny brown dots around ankle and top of foot accompanied with cold numbness. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Recently, i have had hundreds of tiny brown dots appear around my ankle and the top of my foot. this is accompanied with a cold numbness at times. what could this indicate?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
There are few possible causes but this is probably caused by circulatory insufficiency, usually venous and is known as hypostatic dermatitis.
Venous stasis causes pooling red blood cells to stain the skin of the ankles from the inside out, brown patches on the ankles.
Venous stasis can occur due to injury, surgery or poor circulation. It is characteristic for people who stand a lot, overweight ones and those who have inadequate footwear. Numbness is usually associated with this but there is no serious nerve damage. If you notice pale toes, loss of sensation or pulsatility in foot you should go to ER.

You can treat the cause and those skin changes. First thing is done by manual massage therapy, compression stockings, frequent periods of rest elevating the legs above the heart. You simply need to stand less,this is the best treatment for it. Also vascular surgeon can perform procedure which is routine and it has very good results. Skin changes are treated by dermatologists with skin lubrications, creams and coatings.

For diagnostics you should do doppler leg ultrasounds and check blood sugar levels and prothrombine time to evaluate is there any blood abnormality.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help