Have had small lump on back of neck with pain and swelling on neck reaching to shoulder. Further?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a very small lump on the back of my neck for 6 months, without pain, I started to get pain a couple of weeks ago and noticed swelling on both sides of my neck where it reaches the front of the shoulders. I am 48
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further investigations required

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case

Lump in neck is very common condition and needs proper evaluation.

Most common reason for neck swelling is usually infection, so we can start antibiotic regime and look for results.
If there is no improvement then we will need to investigate in form of complete blood count,ESR,CRP,tuberculin test, and Fine needle aspiration cytology.

If required CT scan can be done.
There could be possibility of infection like Tuberculosis or sarcoidosis.
It can be due to benign malignancy like lipoma, or metastatic lesion.

If required later on you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.