Have had semen analysis test. What does it indicate?

Dear doctor, I did a semen test and here are my results. LiquefactionTime - 1:45mins, Color - Greyish, Volume - 0.5ml, Viscosity - 1/3, Reaction PH - 7.0

Microscopic Analysis - Sperm Concentration - 40 million/ml, Rapid Progressive - 50%, Sluggishly Progressive - 20%, Twitching 5%, Non Motile - 25%

Morphology - Normal Spermatozoa - 30%, Head Defect - 40%, Midpeice defect - 15%, Cytoplasmicdroplet - 08%, Tail defect - 07%

Others- pus cells / WBC - <1m/ml

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic.
I apprecite your efforts in sending the whole of the semen analysis report.
I would request you to let me know your age and need for which semen analysis was done.
Hope to hear from you
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Have had semen analysis test. What does it indicate? 16 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your response. My age is 29 and I did this test to check the fertility, we are trying for baby for last 1 year. So we took this Semen test as suggested by a doctor near by our home. I took this Semen test after 24 hours of Ejaculation.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Thanks for your details.
Actually on paper your semen report is normal but it is exactly on the border. The values especially the sperm numbers and motility are exactly the lower side of the normal.
I think you should get in repeated once more after atleast 72 hours of abstinence.
With this semen report, you will be able to have a pregnancy but it may take time.
Many people require more than 1 year of try and I thin you need to be patient.
Eat plenty of fresh fruits ,do regular exercise,, reduce stress in your life. Also avoid driving a bike for long hours.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow-up: Have had semen analysis test. What does it indicate? 4 hours later
Dear doctor, thanks very much for solving my doubt. I am an IT architect and have stressed life till now. I will take care of things mentioned by you from now on. I have below 2 questions,

1) when I have sex I cant withstand for more hours, maximum I can manage for 25 to 30 mins and the quantity of my sperm Ejaculation is also less. Do i need to take some medicines or anything specific to have a good sex life? Is it advisable to take some tables that are available in the market, if its fine can u suggest some tablets?

2) Also we have sex monthly 1 or 2 times, is there any frequency I should take care when we try for pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for your followup query.

Stress does add up to low sperm count.

Regarding your specific questions... a sex time of 30 min is a good time. However sex is a mutual experience and if both you and your wife feel that the time is not adequate then you can prolong the things by using medications. Instead of buying anything from the market I would advice you to XXXXXXX a psychiatrist. Paroxetine is a good drug for this purpose which needs to be taken at night.

Regarding your second question....a sex frequency of twice a month is too less if you are trying for a baby. It should be at least 3 - 4 times a week and you should do it daily around the fertile period i.e., on 10-16 day of the period. In your case where the sperm count is slightly low, this frequency is all the more important.

Hope I am able to help you.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Psychiatrist and Sexologist