Have had red patches on the thigh. Could this be something serious?

I have had two red patches one on the front of my top left thigh and the other on the back of my top right thigh, for over 2 years. I am worried that they might have got slightly bigger.

They do not itch and they do not cause any discomfort but they are worrying as they sometimes show a skin peeling feature and they sometimes change shape slightly.

I am not sure exactly when I picked them up copuld they be something serious?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Ive gone through the query and images.

There are two possibilities in your case.One is tinea corporis (a fungal infection)and other is purpuric spots.

Also I would like to know-

Do you have itching on the spots?Mild itching?

Do the spots change shape ?

Do you have similar lesions or discoloration in groin?

Answer the following questions to narrow down the possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Have had red patches on the thigh. Could this be something serious? 5 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXX

I do not have itching on the spots - no itching at all.

The spots do change shape slightly and they sometimes peel slightly: It is hard to tell though as they have been on me for over 2 and a half years - they do grow very slightly I think - they are both under a XXXXXX size.

I don't have any discoloration in the groin or similar lesions - just these 2 spots on the top of both legs.

As they have lasted for so long I was wondering if it could be anything else?

I do have what looks like dermatitis (large red patches) under both under arms but they are different - and I'm almost sure as a reaction to deodorant.

Best Regards, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later

Thanks for the details.

As there is no itching it is unlikely to be fungal infection or tinea corporis.

Also I cannot see scaling or peeling of skin on the area.

The most probable condition can be purpuric/ecchymotic lesions.

These occur due to trauma or otherwise. Can remain like that for long times with gradual fading.

My recommendation still would be to try over the counter antifungal cream like LAMISIL cream twice daily for 15 days.It will resolve a low grade fungal infection if present.

If these are purpuric/ecchymotic lesions they will remain unaffected .Nothing needs to be done in that case .These will resolve on their own.

HOpe this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.