Have had psoriatic arthritis. Pain in hand and knee. X-rays showed moderate arthritic changes. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Have had psoriatic arthritis, diagnosed about 6 years ago. Having considerable pain in hands, knees and hips. See medical history as far as surgeries. Recent x-rays confirm moderate arthritic changes. Have not seen anyone other than GP who ordered xrays saying "normal" to me via phone. I am wondering if I should see an orthopedic surgeon to have the actual x-rays reviewed. I am trying to avoid what occurred on my foot a year ago following 18 mos of pain and ultimately arthritis pinched off a tendon and I had to have a fusion to stop pain. Not sure at one point do I need an evaluation under these circumstances; primary GP seems unconcerned. Rheumatologist suggests various injections.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Since you are having a considerable pain in the joints, it needs to be properly treated so that you can maintain a functional lifestyle.
Consulting an orthopedician to review the X-rays and further treatment will be helpful. Disease modifying drugs and steroids do need a careful monitoring and dosage regulation which are best done under the care of an orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.