Have had pain in abdominal area and headache, lost weight. Ultrasound and tube normal. Had stress. Advise?

Hi doctor. I have had mild pain in my upper abdominal area plus a mild headache for about 10 months. In this time I have had a little bit of weight loss. All my bloods have come back normal. My ultra sound normal. Tube with camera normal. My stools have have become sticky, test showed no blood in them. Any ideas where to go next? All this came on after huge emotional stress
Thanks XXXXXXX ps: I'm male 40 years old
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its reassuring that the tests actually came back normal. I suggest a careful clinical evaluation wad done before you were sent for these tests.

Stress could cause some headache. The upper abdominal pain under these circumstances could be explained by gastric ulcers due to the stress. However, it would be worthwhile knowing if you have a past history of peptic ulcer disease (gastritis) or not.

Weight loss in this context of stress is explained by a decrease in appetite in some people, leading to decreased food intake and consequently weight loss.

All these conclusions should be accepted if and only if other organic causes of disease have been formally excluded. From the test results you did, it might be very non probable that it should be organic.

For now, I suggest a visit to your internist for a proper clinical review. Reductions in stress through simple techniques like exercise and being with loved ones and friends could be appropriate. A balanced diet, especially XXXXXXX i fruits and vegetables is advisable. Consulting a psychologist at times for advice might be of help.

Thanks and hope this helps. do not hesitate asking further questions if you need more information. Will be glad doing that.

Best regards and wishing you good health,

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Have had pain in abdominal area and headache, lost weight. Ultrasound and tube normal. Had stress. Advise? 54 minutes later
Thanks for the quick reply it means a lot. My stress lasted about 4 months I have lived stress free for the last 8 months and I have eaten normally the whole time. I did a course of ranitidine for 1 month, also the tube camera showed no ulcer. The dull pain and headache goes on every day all day. During my blood work also tested for hep a,b,c all neg
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 28 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the update,

It s nice hearing you have a stress free life now. Normality of the gastrointestinal tract (upper) imaging for peptic ulcer disease being normal is also very reassuring.

It might be important to actually review whether the headache and abdominal pains are really all that related. Do you have any history of eye disease? Straining in the eyes or excessive exposure to computer screens could cause dull headaches. ENT disease should also be considered (sinusitis, chronic rhinitis etc)

This might deserve a neurologist to investigate whether this is a primary (migraine, cluster, tension) headache or a secondary headache (other organic causes, trauma, tumors, infections, vascular causes, etc).

I suggest you consult a neurologist and a gastroenterologist for an insightful evaluation of these conditions.

Thanks once again and best regards,

For the mean time, I suggest adequate sleep, eye care, not so much exposure to computer screens , exercise, balanced diet XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables and enough rest and distraction.

Bain LE, MD.