Have had pain at the base of neck connecting to shoulder blade and progressively got worse. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had pain at the base of my neck connecting to underneath my right shoulder blade. Started a week ago and has progressively gotten worse. Coincided with international travel. Instead of going away it has gotten worse.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.
To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time to heal.

I would definitely order for x-rays if pain is severe and troubling you,

Hope this will helps you. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health. Take care.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.