Have had muscle ache on the underside of shoulder blade. Cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had a bad muscle ache on the underside of my shoulder blade for at least 3 months or more.I don't remember pulling a muscle or any thing like that,And for the past 4 days it has gotten worse ,It bothers me when I fold laundry or turn to the left.Its kind of an annoying bad ache(like a bad tooth ache
,like a bad pulled muscle feeling.could it be a heart attack waiting to happen ?Im 47 years old and all my blood counts are good,
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Musculo-tendinous pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As your pain is getting aggravated by specific movements or activities involving the shoulder joint, it is most propably due to a musculotendinous problem in the shoulder girdle.

A detailed clinical evaluation and an MRI scan of the shoulder joint is needed to establish the exact diagnosis.

It is most unlikely to be pain of cardiac origin. The typical characteristic features of pain of cardiac origin are -

*Pain is diffuse in nature and is felt over the entire chest wall
* It may radiate to jaw, shoulder, neck and arm
* It is tight , sqeezing or choking in nature
* Present constantly without any relation to the bodily movements like twisting, turning, bending, sitting etc.
* It is made worse by exertion or emotion
* relieved by rest

The general guidelines of treatment includes REST, ICE PACKING and over the counter pain killers like Motrin or Aleve.

Moist heat fomentation over the painful area helps in relaxing the underlying muscles.

Sometimes an injection of corticosteroid around the inflammed tendon will provide good pain relief.

At times, Physiotherapy will also work by undergoing a specific exercise programme designed to stretch and strengthen the affected muscle tendon unit.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further