Have had mucus in throat causing to have bad breath and dry mouth. How to get rid of it?

Hi I have had mucus in my throat for years and it causes me to have bad breath and dry mouth and it ruins my social life
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr. Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that you are having bad breath , mucous in throat (post nasal drip) , ruining your social life , with an age of 26 years.

Malodorous breath affects millions of people, although some individuals ("halitophobics") have greatly exaggerated concerns especially in females.

Bad breath originates most commonly from the mouth. A number of common factors that can exacerbate bad breath are as follow.

1.The most common cause of bad breath is accumulation of postnasal drip on the posterior of the tongue dorsum due to sinusitis , allergic rhinitis etc , you need to have a ENT review.

2.Poor oral hygiene (particularly failure to clean between the teeth with floss or an interdental brush), you need to have a Dentist review.

3.Improper dental care (eg abscesses, gums infection)

4.Mouth breathing and other causes of dry mouth (eg, fasting, medications, prolonged speech, long time between meals, and stress and anxiety)

5.Alcohol consumption
6.Being overweight
7.Menstrual cycle
8.Proteinaceous foods that get stuck between the teeth
9.Onions and garlic

Many cases of bad breath may be readily alleviated by the following simple measures:

1.Proper dental care and oral hygiene
2.Gentle cleaning with a plastic tongue cleaner
3.Deep gargling with a mouthwash, particularly at bedtime
4.Eating fibrous foods
5.Chewing gum briefly if the mouth is dry, or after meals
6.Sufficient water intake
7.Decreasing alcohol, coffee, or intake of other foods or beverages that might precipitate bad breath
8.Floss your teeth (properly). Flossing should include cleaning the posterior surface of the back teeth as well.The basic idea is to sweep away the mucus

Interdental brushes may also be useful for cleaning between teeth.They are portable and easy to use, and may be dipped in mouthwash or toothpaste prior to use for added benefit.

9.Gargling and rinsing with mouthrinse can be advised for you.
10.The best time to use a mouthwash is probably before bedtime since the residue of the mouthrinse may remain in the mouth for a longer period of time and have a greater effect.

I hope this relieves your tension of bad breath

If you follow the above advice , you will get rid of bad breath

Let me know if you have need any further clarifications.