Have had higher levels of alkaline phosphatase. Will it cause liver cancer?

I have had higher levels of alkaline phosphatase for the last three years. 150, 140, 182. I am going to have an ultrasound tomorrow and am worried it will be liver cancer. I don't have any symptoms, but everything I look at online to do with high levels are scaring me! The first answer is always liver cancer!
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 55 minutes later
Dear patient,

Indeed, liver problems (not only cancer but other conditions like cirrhosis or cholangitis) can be a cause of elevated alkaline phosphatase, but this enzyme elevation can also be seen in bone disorders (including Paget's disease of the bone, fractures), pregnancy, intestinal inflammation, etc.

The ultrasound will be helpful in starting to rule out these possibilities particularly hepatobiliary causes.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN