Have had diarrhea and soft explosive stools with stomach cramps. Noticed kidney bean in stools. Suggestion?

I have had diarrhoea and soft explosive stools for nearly 3 weeks now and get cramps in my tummy. A few times l have noticed what looks like a white kidney bean in my stools yet l haven't eaten anything like that. Have cut out lactose and gluten at the moment. Have been to my Gp twice. Had FBC and ESR done which were normal and U&E's, LFTs satisfactory. Stool sample on 16th April neg for E Coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, C Diff and Shigellae. Another stool sample was handed into Gp on 23rd April. Results awaited. I am a nurse.

l forgot to say that also had a coeliac screen done too but no results yet.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

From your symptoms, two possibilities are important to be ruled out. These are:

1)     Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS: IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that your doctor has to rule out other possibilities first. Ultrasound abdomen, CT scan abdomen and colonoscopy with biopsy should be done to rule out the cause of the symptoms.

2)     Brainerd diarrhea which is a syndrome of acute onset of watery diarrhea ( 3 or more loose stools per day) lasting 4 weeks or longer and symptoms are explosive, watery diarrhea, characterized by urgency and often by fecal incontinence.

Accompanying symptoms include gas, mild abdominal cramping, and fatigue. There is no laboratory test that can confirm the diagnosis but on colonoscopy, petechiae, aphthous ulcers and erythema may be observed.

You should consult a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy done to confirm the diagnosis.

Till then, alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods.

Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.