Have had diarrhea. Perineal area is swollen, itchy and sore and swollen glands in groin and back pain

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I have had extremely bad diareah for one week. It is mostly gone now, however my perineal area is swollen, itchy and sore. Also, I have swollen glands in my groin and a slight back pain on the lower right side.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 16 days later
Welcome to. HCM!

After severe diarrhea irritation of skin around the perineal area is common because of the acid stools irritating the skin..

Another reason for the symptoms may be fungal infection of the area secondary to the antibiotic use.

The lymph nodes in the groin are expected because of the perineal skin affection. They will subside once the skin becomes clear.

You have to keep the area dry and ty for 48 hrs.

If no improvement you may have to use antifungal cream after consulting your local doctor.

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma