Have had a small, movable lump inside knee cap. What should I do?

Hi for the past year I have had a small lump the size of a pea inside my knee cap, it moves around back and forth. When I press it, it hurts.
What should I do?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

I would like to seek a little more clarification regarding your observation of "small lump inside the knee cap". I hope you are meaning that the lump is beneath the skin over the knee cap. The knee cap (patella) is a bony structure and it is difficult to feel the lump inside the knee cap.

Kindly let me know the following about the lump:
1. Size of lump?
2. Is it increasing in size?
3. Is it painful?
4. Any invstigations done? You can upload the reports using the feature on this website.

If the lump is not increasing in size and is not painful then you need not worry about it. If it troublesome then the best course would be get it removed and get a biopsy (excisional biopsy) of the lump done.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more information.

Wishing you all the best..