Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I've had a red raised blotch on my penis right about the head for 2 weeks's not painful or itchy, and just appeared there. its only on one side. it appears to look like a soft growth. sometimes appears dry but not cracking or leaking anything. It looks like eczema, (which i have had before) but I'm NOT sure. haven't had it before. I have Gen Herpes but it doesn't look like a breakout at all, nor does it look like syphllis. I've put aloe vera gel and Hydrogen Peroxide on it, also, I had a folliculitus breakout a month ago, i was given a cream that cleared that up. This also appeared after a very HOT and humid day in los angeles. what could this be and im sure I'd have to visit my primary doc, just tryig to get some knowledge. I'm sorry, the red raised oval sized blotch is BELOW the penis head, on shaft of Right side.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From the information you submitted I suspect that you are dealing with a mild fungal infection. Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes redness, itching and peeling of the skin.

The generally best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream includes hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a prescription for this. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone.

I would expect the areas of irritation to slowly respond and improve over two to three weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 8 hours later
great thanks so much. Sounds like your saying I need to get like Over the counter Lotromin or get a prescription for Lotrisone. I'mm make an appt with my doc and get hopefully, It should be nothing more than that. I've done my research on Syphlliss lesions and it DEFINATLY isn't that. I've already told U about my other issue and I also KNOW it isn't that. Wish i could send a pic just so you can SEE what this is to make certain but I will consult my physician. Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side. Or do care to send it to
YYYY@YYYY with my name (Attn : Dr XXXXXXX Tayal ) in the subject.
However a direct examination by a dermatologist will be confirmatory.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 6 days later
OK, I'll be seeing a doctor this week. I will be sending you a couple of pics just for your review. I just wanna make certain. Thanks so much for your attention. I just uploaded two pics of my fungal infection. Hope you are able to assist. Thanks.
I have seen the photographs attached with the query. It seems to be a fugal infection or dermatitis. Lotrisone should help in clearing off these lesions.
Follow-up: Have had a red raised blotch on penis. Looks like eczema. What could this be? 14 hours later
Ok thanks so much! I'll b heading to doctor today to clear it up.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again through my profile URL
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards