Have had UTI and kidney infection. Blood and urine test done. Feeling fatigued and anxiety. Any suggestion?

Jul 2012

Hi, I have "half and half" nails on all of my fingers, most prominently on the pinkies. This has developed in the past month. I have had many UTIs in the past, and a kidney infection about a month and a half ago. However, I have recently (1-2 months ago) had blood work and urine tests done with no abnormalities to suggest kidney problems...I am VERY fatigued all the time, but that could also be because I have an anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. What would you say could be causing this? I am 23 and female.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXX,
While this query has been directed towards nephrologists', it is more apt for a dermatologist & with your permission, am taking the XXXXXX of answering the same.
The Nails are windows' to systemic disease but not always the most accurate. Agreed half & half nails are also known as uraemic nails & point to a renal condition but this is not a 'fact'..just a relax. I do understand you ail from an anxiety disorder & sometimes chemotherapeutic agents are a major cause of such nail conditions. I also note that you say you get tired easily. Anemia could just as easily be a factor. A simple test would have to be a Hemoglobin estimation & a peripheral smear examination which will confirm my clinical hunch or refute it & if affirmative, will also tell you what type of anemia & then you can proceed to a medical specialist or family physician near you to get treated. Was there any indication of the same when you did your blood work some 1-2 mths ago?
Do hope this has allayed your anxiety as concerning renal disorders & Good luck with the rest! Cheers & wish you good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have had UTI and kidney infection. Blood and urine test done. Feeling fatigued and anxiety. Any suggestion? 16 minutes later
Thank you for your reply - so you do not think the nails are a cause for concern, even considering extreme fatigue? Are there benign causes of these types of nails, and should I watch for anything or just dismiss it from my mind? Thanks again :)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 22 minutes later
I definitely do not think they are a cause for concern.
Go ahead & do the simple blood tests' i suggested..then you have an objective view & can then address the extreme fatigue with your family physician.
Dont watch or pre-empt dismiss it from your mind!!!
Am sure @ 23 you are a beautiful woman with the world at your feet! Relax.
It may help you to achieve further 'closure' on the topic by 'closing ' this query..all the best. Dont worry about a thing..go on live life! Wish you a happy healthy life going ahead & do send in your feedback when you close the query! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD