Have had Doxyheal for sinus, but after weeks it starts again. Suggest treatment for severe chronic sinusitis?

ENT Specialist
Question
What can be done for sereve chronic sinuisitis. Have had two courses of Doxyheal antibiotics which clears it up and after a couple of weeks it starts again. Please help c can't stand the bad breath that comes with it.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. For severe recurrent chronic sinusitis with halitosis (bad breath), I would recommend the following investigations:
a. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses),
b. A nasal examination and video-endoscopy,
c. Nasal swabs for bacterial, fungal culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. Based on the results of these tests, further treatment options may be discussed.

3. If there is blockage and stasis of sinus and nasal secretions, it may be treated first with a trial of medication. If there is a resistant 'biofilm' formation, it may be treated with alkaline nasal douching, endoscopic surgery or balloon sinuplasty.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have had Doxyheal for sinus, but after weeks it starts again. Suggest treatment for severe chronic sinusitis? 15 minutes later
I have had a PNS CT Scan which revealed moderately severe left maxillary sinusitis and mild aphenoid and right maxillary sinusitis. My Dr is away on holidays for 6 weeks in the meantime I am using a saline spray twice a day. Is this the right thing to do. The mucus is a bit mucky of a morning but clears during the day.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The saline nasal spray is fine.

2. Regular steam inhalation for 10-15 minutes twice a day will help.

3. You may request your doctor to prescribe a mucolytic.

4. If you can share the CT images, I will be able to give you an accurate opinion.

Regards.