Have grade 1 stage non-Hodgkin lymphomas. What is the recommended treatment?

Question
I have grade 1 stage 4 NHL. What is the recommended treatment.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

There are many treatment regimens for management of NHL. It has to be individualized.

In your case, you have grade 1 stage 4 NHL. In such a setting, the most appropriate recommended treatment would be combination of rituximab and bendamustine, also known as Chemo-immunotherapy.

As a second line treatment, I would choose Rituximab with the CHOP (Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin, Oncovin, Prednisone) regimen for you.

Thirdly and less likely recommended treatment would be I 131 radioimmunotherapy.

I hope this answers your query.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Take care!

Follow-up: Have grade 1 stage non-Hodgkin lymphomas. What is the recommended treatment? 6 hours later
Is a bone marrow sample necessary at this time? What happens if I choose not to have a bone marror sample taken?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 minutes later

Bone marrow sample would be required to stage the NHL. However, I suppose you are already staged at stage 4 NHL.

I do not see a need for bone marrow sample now. Please ask your doctor the reason for the sample now.

No drastic changes would happen in your management if you choose not to opt for the bone marrow sample.

Follow-up: Have grade 1 stage non-Hodgkin lymphomas. What is the recommended treatment? 26 hours later
Should I proceed with one of the treatments?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 hours later
Yes, please discuss about the same with your treating doctor.

Take care!