Have gastroparesis, tingling in feet. Done ct-scans, colonoscopy, upper EGD, bowel X-rays. Is it nerve damage?

Dec 2012

Everytime I sit on the toliet to use the restroom I have tingling in my feet. Is this something I should be alarmed by? Is that a sign of nerve damage?
Also, I have been to several doctors, bc of digestive issue. I have been told a have gastroparesis by one doctors which I'm not convinced. I have severe bloating, gas, I have lost over 30 pounds in the last 2 months bc I can't eat due to the severe discomfort. Some doctors say IBS, but I have always had IBS So where is the severe discomfort coming from. My amalyase blood work is always high when I go to the emergency and no one knows why. I have had ct-scans, colonoscopy, upper EGD, ultrasounds, small bowel X-rays, but still no answers of way the bloating. Others doctors say they are not convinced with the gastroparesis diagnosis bc it's more seen diabetic patients and I'm not diabetic. I think maybe SIBO or yeast overgrowth? What do you think?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later
Hello Chiquanatate,

Thanks for posting your query,

I am pleased to be able to help you answer your health problem,

Gastropararesis is unlikely as it is mostly seen in diabetic and always almost associated with recurrent/persistent diarrhea or constipation. If you have always had IBS then the most likely cause of your worry is acute exacerbation/bouts of IBS. IBS could become worst. Now based on the fact that you have been loosing weight and your serum amylase being always high, then it is most likely that your pancreas maybe affected, maybe mild pancreatitis even though CT scans and ultrasound could not detect it. Mild chronic pancreatitis could present like that.
Bloating too can occur for unknown reasons but there is always a significant correlation between yeast cell infection (which helps promote gas formation and encourage poor digestion) and bloating. I will encourage drinking much fluids with less fermented diets. Consultation with a specialist (gastroenterologist) at this point is paramount.
Always remember there is no problem without an actual solution, you just need to find the right health care practitioner who can further investigate your problem and maybe provide you with appropriate counseling if there is no definite treatment to your problem.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best and please if you are satisfied with my answer, do accept it.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Have gastroparesis, tingling in feet. Done ct-scans, colonoscopy, upper EGD, bowel X-rays. Is it nerve damage? 13 hours later
So, if gastric empty study showed that I do have some delayed emptying does that mean that I have Gastroparesis. It show that 47% of my contents empty into my small intestine in 90 minutes.. At this I'm a desperate, I always have tingling in my feet, and sinus pressure. I have never had issue with sinus until now. Could all of this be related? The next test I would like to have performed is the hydrogen breath test. To check for SIBO or SBBO. My symptoms correlate with this condition.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 hours later

Thanks for updating,

Let me first update you on the definitions of gastroparesis. Gastroparesis, also called delayed gastric emptying, is a medical condition consisting of a paresis (partial paralysis) of the stomach, resulting in food remaining in the stomach for a longer time than normal.Transient gastroparesis may arise in acute illness of any kind, as a consequence of certain cancer treatments or other drugs which affect digestive action, or due to abnormal eating patterns. It is frequently caused by autonomic neuropathy. This may occur in people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. In fact, diabetes mellitus has been named as the most common cause of gastroparesis, as high levels of blood sugar may affect chemical changes in the nerves. Gastroparesis can be diagnosed with tests such as x rays, manometry, and gastric emptying scans. Treatment includes dietary changes (low-fiber and low-residue diets and, in some cases, restrictions on fat and/or solids); oral medications to treat symptoms particularly ( a gastroenterologist will be better placed). Well I am still not comfortable with confirmation that you have gastroparesis (as idiopathic forms are very rare).
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), also termed bacterial overgrowth, or Small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SBBOS), is a disorder of excessive bacterial growth in the small intestine. The diagnosis of bacterial overgrowth can be made by physicians in various ways. Malabsorption can be detected by a test called the D-xylose test. Xylose is a sugar that does not require enzymes to be digested. The D-xylose test involves having a patient drink a certain quantity of D-xylose, and measuring levels in the urine and blood; if there is no evidence of D-xylose in the urine and blood, it suggests that the small bowel is not absorbing properly (as opposed to problems with enzymes required for digestion). The gold standard for detection of bacterial overgrowth is the aspiration of more than 105 bacteria per millilitre from the small bowel. The normal small bowel has less than 104 bacteria per millilitre. Bacterial overgrowth is usually treated with a course of antibiotics. For treatment, a variety of antibiotics, including neomycin, rifaximin, amoxicillin-clavulanate, fluoroquinolone antibiotics and tetracycline have been used; however, the best evidence is for the use of norfloxacin and amoxicillin-clavulanate.
The two diseases may coexist together, as well as IBS.

Hope this help and wish you the best.

Dr. Nsah