Have gastroparesis and having pain under ribs and breast bone. What do you recommend?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I have gastroparesis and I have been having so much pain under my ribs and breast bone, left shoulder blade and left side of jaw. It's not my heart per arteriogram. What would you suggest?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
If your arteriogram ruled out heart, then do not worry.
The pain I think could be due to reflux or hiatus hernia . Try antacids or proton pump inhibitors like rabeprazole once a day for few days.
If the pain persists consult your physician
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Have gastroparesis and having pain under ribs and breast bone. What do you recommend? 14 hours later
With gastroparesis I already take dexalant on a daily basis along with other medications for constipation. Just not sure why gastroparesis of the stomach would cause so much pain and apparently not many Dr.'s do either. If you have any suggestions please let me know because my gastroenterologit doesn't either.

Answered by Dr. Arun 9 hours later
Hi
Gastroparesis can result in severe abdominal pain.
Usually it is advisable to take low fibre and low residue diet, if severe restriction on fats may be necessary.
Food balls can also become a cause for intestinal obstruction.
You can try metoclopromide or erythromycin which are usually given in such conditions , to improve the motility of gut.
You are already on dexilant for acid control.
Try medications to increase motility as suggested before.
Wishing you good recovery.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Have gastroparesis and having pain under ribs and breast bone. What do you recommend? 10 hours later
I know reglan would help but I can't take it because I had the beginnings of the severe side affects and have tried the erythromycin. My gastroenterologist says there's not much more he can do. I will search for a motility Dr. who is more familiar with this issue. I thank you for trying!

Answered by Dr. Arun 3 minutes later
Wishing you speedy recovery.
Dr Arun