Have gained weight. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Are they related?

Hello I have just been diagnosed with quite severe anaemia. My doctor advised had my results been much lower I would have needed a blood transfusion. Over the last few years I have gained a considerable amount of weight which I am having difficulty losing. Can you advise if anaemia affects the metabolism or can cause weight gain?
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 1 hour later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Anemia has relation with metabolism and weight gain by two means.

1. If anemia is severe enough to cause edema over body, you may have weight gain.
2. The cause of anemia (like hypothyroidism) can also cause weight gain.

Please find out the cause of anemia, whether it is nutritional or blood loss etc.

Type of anemia is also needs consideration. It may be iron deficiency or hemolytic or megaloblastic or due to any general medical condition.

Please revert to me if you know the cause or type of anemia.

I hope I have addressed your concern.
Please revert to me in case if you have further query.