Ask a Urologist   »  

Have frequent urination. Azo strip showed positive for leukocytes and negative for nitrite. Worrisome

I just took an Azo test strip test to see if I had a uti. I have a lot of frequency to ultimate but no pain of any kind, no fever. I am not pregnant and do not have any stds. The test showed positive leukocytes and negative nitrite. A couple months ago I had a UA and it showed a trace of protein. Should I be worried? I have no medical insurance.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 43 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query. I can understand your problem....
A positive nitrite would have established a UTI.Then you would need a course of antibiotics.
However take a lot of fluids and some alkasol solution throughout the day for 5 days to ease your problems.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Have frequent urination. Azo strip showed positive for leukocytes and negative for nitrite. Worrisome 11 minutes later
Thank you for your response. I am a 35 year old woman in generally pretty good health, but I do suffer from anxiety so I was afraid this meant I had bladder of kidney cancer because that's what "google" seems to go to when I look up info on my own about this. I do have a Mirena IUD and I know that it thins my uterine lining... could that be the cause for the leukocytes showing up? At this point do you think I should be afraid of something serious?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 4 minutes later
Dear Lady,
The IUD does not cause leukocytes in urine. It may cause bloody or mucoid vaginal discharge.
Please do not panic.
If the symptoms persist please go for a proper urine test. If this is associated with abdominal pain an ultrasound is warranted too.
Keep the genital area clean and practice safe sex.
Have a nice day