Have frequent bowel movements, given miralax but do not have constipation. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have frequent a.m. bowel movements (like I can't get done in one sitting), it's annoying. My doctor gave me miralax to take 1/2 capful twice a day for a week, then once a day. I don't have constipation. So why MiraLax?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Miralax should not be prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Miralax should not be prescribed in patients with frequent bowel movements. Only in one condition like feeling of incomplete evacuation and stool is hard in consistency miralax do help. You haven't mentioned clearly about the stool consistency. However if the stool is soft or loose then they should not be taken at all.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Have frequent bowel movements, given miralax but do not have constipation. Suggest? 30 minutes later
In fact, I would say it is all the same bowel movement, it just does not come all at the same time, maybe 15 minutes apart, the consistency is normal. What would be your suggestion to help alleviate the problem?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should take Miralax

Detailed Answer:
Hello! thanks for feedback

It suggest that you have feeling of incomplete evacuation as you mentioned that sometime it may not come out.Also consistency is normal. So you may start with Miralax may be once in a day and it will help you by decreasing stool frequency as all may come out in once only as it helps in retention of lots of fluid in intestine.

I hope I have answered your query and if you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health

Follow-up: Have frequent bowel movements, given miralax but do not have constipation. Suggest? 7 minutes later
What do you mean, "only as it helps in retention of lots of fluid in intestine"? Do you mean I have excess fluid in the intestine in the mornings? If that's what you mean, then why do I have excess fluid in intestine?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Miralax is an osmotic agent

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Miralax is polyethylene glycol which has high molecular weight, it is not digestible in our intestine and it acts as an osmotic agent and helps in retention of water in stool. It doesn't means that there is excess fluid in your intestine, it draws water into intestinal lumen