Have freckle like dark spots on feet, ankles and calves. How to get rid of this?

I have freckle-like dark spots on my feet, ankles and now my calves that look like liver spots or freckles. They have inched up my legs over the past few years. I have asked my general practitioner about it and she says it is broken capillaries that bleed under the skin and that there is nothing that can be done. I was a teacher and on my feet for years that may have caused this, according to doctors. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of these and remedy the problem?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 29 minutes later
Pigmentation on legs can be due to capillary bleed, as mentioned by your doctor.
As you say you had to stand for long, so this can be due to dilatation of veins also, this we call as stasis dermatitis.
There is no definitive treatment for this, but here is my advice which may benefit you.
1. Elevate your leg while sleeping, use two pillows on your leg side, keep your legs on that and sleep. This will improve the venous return.
2. A mild steroid like hydrocortisone gel will be beneficial; this is available over the counter.
3. Apply an elastic bandage on both legs while walking.
4. If possible kindly upload a few photographs of the lesions, this will help in diagnosis. There is a facility to upload photographs on right side of the submission page.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Follow-up: Have freckle like dark spots on feet, ankles and calves. How to get rid of this? 8 hours later
I have uploaded four pictures of my feet and legs. Hopefully, this helps to somewhat conclude your diagnosis. This is not a life-threatening condition, noting your conclusion. Will the hydrocortisone gel help to fade these spots or is there a topical fade cream that will help to get rid of these spots or am I stuck with them for life?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and good quality photographs.
It is obvious from the photographs that you are suffering from a condition called as Schaumberg purpura. This is a harmless condition and is due to minute bleeds in skin.

Hydrocortisone can give some benefit but this condition is very resistant to treatment.

Probably LASERS will be best for this condition, you can XXXXXXX a dermatologist and discuss regarding this.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have freckle like dark spots on feet, ankles and calves. How to get rid of this? 2 hours later
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
You are most welcome.
If you feel satisfied with the discussion, kindly rate it before closing.
Thank you.